Sunday, November 28, 2010

New life.

One of the reasons I chose to pursue a VBAC was because I knew that a vaginal birth would "require less hospital" time for me.  And I was in a hurry to get back home to my baby girl.  I was in no hurry to rush any after birth bonding with my son, but I also felt that we, as a family, needed to start bonding right away.  

After my son was born I remember feeling much more awake and alert.  I knew this time around that there was absolutely NO WAY that I would go anywhere close to hours without my son by my side.  I didn't have to overcome any drug effects and I sure as heck didn't have to sleep any off either.  They measured him, weighed him and got all necessary information in the very room he was born in, just as before, but after wrapping him up and bringing him to me they walked away, giving us ample time to bond before they had to move us to post delivery.  I could barely hold back the tears.  I was beaming with a sense of accomplishment that I birthed my son into this world against the overall popular notion that because I had a cesarean before I had to have another.  And the truth is if I wound up having another cesarean I would've been ok with it.  But I knew that IF it were to happen, it would be absolutely because of necessity and not because of convenience.  It was going to be my decision.  You know... my choice. 

He looked up at me with such open eyes and I couldn't believe he was mine.  I couldn't wait to try nursing him.  He was sucking on my finger for a while and a few of my family members came in to visit and to see my brand new gorgeous baby boy.  

They asked to take him for his 1st bath and since they were also going to move me to my next stop, post delivery, I allowed them to bathe him in the nursery and was assured that my husband would stay by his side the entire time.  And after a few short moments he was back with me in my room. They had him in one of those little plastic see through cribs and rather than leaving him there, I scooped him up and laid him next to me, in my hospital bed.  Where he slept for the rest of our stay.  Swaddled and cozy, right next to his mommy.  

We were successful when it came to nursing and I wondered how my baby girl would handle having to take turns, especially since my son would be nursing on demand, whenever he wanted.  They actually wound up being our most beautiful moments. There were a few instances where I would be nursing them both, at the same time, one on each breast, and my daughter would reach out her hand to hold her brothers hand.  Oh my, it was so beautiful.  So Amazing.  So Lovely.  True sibling bonding.  And all at my breast, where they both sought nourishment, comfort, love and soothing.  I was so thankful for those moments.  

My son was born on New Years Eve and because everything went so marvelously we were able to check out and go home the very next day.  January 1st, 2009 we were all together, as a family, and were eager to go about living our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment