Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy New Year! Part one.

Happy, indeed.  The happiest, in fact.  Ever.

My pregnancy was pretty much uneventful, in the best possible way.  No unnecessary testing and no concerns.  It was a definite variation from my daughter.  I wasn't worried about missing out on the testing that is normally done in the 1st trimester.  And I wasn't concerned that my daughter was still nursing.  In fact she continued to nurse throughout my entire pregnancy and I made the decision to allow her to tandem nurse if she hadn't weaned by the time my baby boy was born.  I wasn't about to push her aside for her brother.  And from what I read about breastfeeding and it's countless benefits, I knew it would help them grow closer together.

The holidays were upon us and my due date was fast approaching!  We celebrated Christmas and I tried very hard to make it as  memorable as possible, considering it would be my daughter's last one as an only child.  She was, no doubt, spoiled rotten and I loved every minute of watching her open presents. 

New Years Eve was right around the corner and the idea that we would soon be welcoming a new baby to our family was both miraculous and overwhelming.  Overwhelming because we had plans to move mid-January and the idea of packing up and heading out with a toddler and a newborn was not something I was looking forward to.  Our decision to move was based solely on our financial situation and we really had no other choice.  Fortunately we found an even larger place for less money.  Hallelujah!

December 30th, 2008...  My sister was visiting and I had just completed a long day at work.  I was ready to go home to my baby girl.  My husband was working late so it was just my daughter and I at for bath time and bed time. We went through our usual routine and after some nursing and cuddling she was fast asleep.  I had been experiencing contractions on a nightly basis, but nothing consistent in one night.  Did that make sense?  I would feel contractions pretty much every night, but never for long periods of time.  So I never paid too much attention...  just waited for them to pass.  On this particular night I felt a really big and painful contraction, the only one of it's kind so far and I wondered if it meant anything...  and after not feeling another one for a while, I didn't give it much more thought.

That night, and like most nights, I got hungry and instead of cooking something I simply called my husband to ask him to bring home Carl's Jr.  I was craving it.  He took our order and showed up moments later with our grub.  We ate, relaxed and he treated me to a fabulous foot massage.  Good man. 

I got up to go to the bathroom and afterward, walked over to my kitchen counter to open a hazelnut chocolate bar...  I barely unwrapped the tin foil when all of a sudden...  I felt a burst of liquid and quickly realized what had just happened.  "Oh no, I think my water just broke!"  I couldn't believe it!  This was it!!  My body was indeed making all of the decisions. I ran back to the bathroom to sit and think about what our next move should be.  I wasn't used to having so much liquid come out either.  When my water was broken with my daughter there was hardly any at all.  My husband brought me the phone and I called my ob's office.  The on call Dr. suggested I go to the hospital.  So my husband and sister rushed around gathering my things and brought me some clothes to change into.  The plan was my sister would wait at my house for my mom so she could stay with my daughter.  My bag was pretty much packed, aside from a few toiletries, so there wasn't much else to do.

Once we were ready to go we went in to kiss our baby girl goodbye...  We had never left her overnight and while we knew we were heading out to have a baby, we were still sad we wouldn't be home when she woke up in the morning. 

We headed out of the house and my sister let us know she would text me when she was on her way to the hospital.  She was on video duty so it was imperative that she get there fast.  The camera we were going to use belonged to our good friends and since I went into labor earlier than I expected I hadn't yet borrowed it from them.  I sent a widespread text letting everyone know what was going on and my girlfriend, the one with the camera, immediately texted back that she was on her way to drop off the camera with my sister.  It was around 11:15pm at this point...  and she even stopped along the way to buy tapes for us.  I was very unprepared.  Thank goodness for amazing friends! 

I couldn't believe we were on our way to the hospital.  To have a baby.  I had no idea what was in store, but I was ecstatic to get there.  I was ready.  And I couldn't wait to meet my baby boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment